The Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) is being challenged by one of its creditors, Edward Cooke, whose lawyer has filed on his behalf for compensation from the government agency for monies owed for his services.Attorney Davion L. Vassell served the notice yesterday on the agency largely responsible for grassroots sporting development. It seeks payment for services allegedly rendered between July and October 2, 2014, which amounted to $619,000 and was accompanied by six invoices.The letter was addressed to INSPORTS to the attention of its chairman, Don Anderson, “re payment of funds to Edward Cooke”, with administrative director Ian Andrews and Cooke also cited.”I act for Edward Cooke in the captioned matter,” it said. “I am instructed that Mr Cooke did work on several occasions for the Institute and to date has not been compensated for services rendered.”I am further instructed that despite several demands, the Institute has failed and/or refused to honour its obligation to Mr Cooke.”Further, it said: “We demand that this sum be paid in two weeks of the date of this letter (January 5, 2015), failing which we will explore other avenues available to Mr Cooke without further notice to you if the debt is not paid.”UNAWARE OF DEVELOPMENTWhen contacted, Anderson said he was oblivious to the development.”I am not aware of it. I am sitting in my office working now and I will continue for the rest of the day to work, no intention to investigate this,” he noted.”If it comes to me, fine, but right now, I have no idea of it. If it comes to me, I will consult my lawyer, but I know nothing about it, so I cannot answer any question,” he further stated.Further calls were made to INSPORTS, where a source, who requested anonymity, explained that the situation stems from a policy change in September 2015 by the new board of directors, which relieved Andrews of the authority to sign cheques. The source said that has resulted in a backlog of payments to its creditors.Andrews was also barred from his office and sent on leave at the time.However, the latter actions were reversed after union intervention, with the exception of Andrews’ signing power.ALLEGED BREACHThis authorisation of cheques is now facilitated with signatures by two board members, an action the source alleges constitutes a breach of government financial regulations on the grounds that the board functions in an advisory capacity and is only responsible for setting policies, as opposed to an executive capacity, which would make it responsible for the day-to-day running of the agency’s operations.In the meantime, Cooke’s attorney expressed hope in the letter that the matter against the government agency would be resolved soon.”We look forward to a prompt and positive response in light of the above,” said Vassell.
“As Latinos, we need to seek out these positive role models because we’re given the worst role models on TV and in this administration,” said Pablo Paredes, a 24-year-old former Navy weapons control technician who was court-martialed last year for refusing to board a ship that was part of the U.S. war effort in Iraq. He too has marched from Tijuana. “It’s been three years of bombs dropping on Iraq and Afghanistan and immigrants going to war,” he said. Students from Alhambra High School were bused in to join the rally. Many said they had a relative in the military. “I feel this war is messed up,” said Salvador Alcala, 16. “People are going to this war and getting killed. It’s like people are just signing up to die.” The peace march will continue today and is expected to end in San Francisco on March 26. Susan Abram, (818) 713-3664 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88 “When my son died in (President George W.) Bush’s illegal war, I promised myself that if I can’t defend my son’s life, I would protect my son’s comrades,” Suarez del Solar told the crowd. “That’s why I walk. I want to see you in high school go on to college and become leaders. Bush is not the owner of this country. You are the owners of this country.” While the hundreds of protests held worldwide this week on the third anniversary of the war called for an end to the fighting, Suarez del Solar and others said the small peace march also symbolized the need for the Latino voice to be heard. They say military recruiters are targeting illegal immigrants with promises of citizenship, or luring high school students who can’t pass standardized exams to join. Dolores Huerta, the well-known co-founder of the United Farm Workers, and social activist who once shouted “Uvas no!” or “No grapes!” with Cesar Chavez, lent her voice to the rally by calling on supporters to say no to the war. “We must boycott this war. They want all your young people to go to the military,” she said. “I have 11 children. I cannot imagine losing one of them.” Others said Suarez del Solar’s example will motivate young people in the Latino communities to speak out. SAN FERNANDO – A four-man peace march from Tijuana to San Francisco passed through the San Fernando Valley on Monday, drawing more than 100 supporters opposed to the war in Iraq. Bare-chested dancers and drummers in Aztec attire braved falling temperatures to greet more than 100 protesters who joined the original four marchers at Cesar Chavez Park in the city of San Fernando. Holding signs with photographs of Chavez, Mohandas Gandhi and la Virgen de Guadalupe, marchers from local high schools and California State University, Northridge, shouted anti-war slogans. They came to support Fernando Suarez del Solar, a 50-year-old Escondido man who organized the California March for Peace in memory of his son Jesus Suarez, a Marine who was one of the first Latinos to die in the conflict. Suarez del Solar and three others started the march in Tijuana on March 12.