Blue Hills Robber jailed for Christmas Holidays arms charges

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, November 22, 2016 – Police say the public is their strongest ally and that was again proven earlier this month when someone reported suspicious activity involving two burglars and one of them was caught.  Around 3:36am the report came in on November 12 that a restaurant in the Turtle Cove area was being broken into.Police got there quickly, gave chase to the two and one of the men was caught with a hand full of food, likely stolen from the unnamed business.  Press Officer, Kevin Clarke said:  “Try as we may, officers cannot be everywhere, but with the help of residents who keep their eyes open for suspicious activity in their neighborhoods, we can respond quickly…” Police yesterday also reported that the 34 year old who was arrested after residents foiled his armed robbery attempt is now in prison facing a number of arms charges.  Carrying ammunition, carrying firearm, discharging firearm and robbery were leveled at the suspect who caused the community of Blue Hills to rise up last Monday night when he tried to rob City Market Store, located on Millennium Highway.   No plea was required for the suspect who has a sufficiency hearing in January and is on remand at Her Majesty’s Prison in Grand Turk until then.The man boldly entered the store and even, allegedly fired off a shot in a move to rob the grocery store – residents stopped him and while police say they do not encourage these actions typically, the residents who did stop and restrain the man until Police arrived on scene were called, ‘brave, offering valuable assistance…’ Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Volunteers help revamp the Salvation Armys downtown center

first_imgVolunteers help revamp the Salvation Army’s downtown center April 26, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The Salvation Army’s Downtown center was cleaned up this morning with the help of local business and volunteers.KUSI’s Ginger Jeffries has more on Project Beautification Day. KUSI Newsroom Posted: April 26, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Huaweis first commercial 5G phone will debut in London on May 16

first_img See it Now playing: Watch this: Mentioned Above Huawei P30 Pro (256GB, black) $765 Huawei P30 Pro’s low-light photo skills are truly superb 3 Huawei unveiled the P30 Pro in March. Andrew Hoyle/CNET Chinese tech giant Huawei will unveil its first commercial 5G phone at an event in London on May 16.The phone follows swiftly in the footsteps of the Huawei P30 Pro, which the company showed off at a launch event in Paris in March. In an interview with CNET at the event, Huawei CEO Richard Yu said he expected 5G to be available first on the Mate series, which Huawei traditionally releases in September or October. Either the Mate is very early this year, or this 5G phone is an update to the P30 Pro. It could also potentially be a different phone entirely.5G is one of the biggest mobile trends for 2019, with carriers around the world starting to roll out their next-generation mobile networks. The wireless networking technology promises more possibilities for smart homes, autonomous vehicles and standalone VR, but when it comes to phones, the technology means faster, steadier internet connections. Even though 5G networks and phones are just about here, it’s very early days for the technology and for now it’ll remain the preserve of early adopters.The UK government is wrestling with whether to allow the use of Huawei networking gear in the country’s 5G infrastructure, given security concerns about the company’s ties to China’s government.Huawei’s sister company Honor is also set to launch its latest flagship phone series in London the following week, on May 21. Honor hasn’t yet said whether it will bring a 5G phone to market, although in an interview with CNET at MWC in February, CEO George Zhao said it was a priority for the company this year. Tags Huawei P30 Pro CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Phones 7:17 News • Huawei P30 Pro in a gorgeous orange finish leaks Review • P30 Pro review: Huawei’s astounding camera shoots past the Galaxy S10 Plus Comments 5G Huawei Share your voicelast_img read more

CPJ urges president Hamid to return Digital Security Act for revision

first_imgThe Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) expressed its deep concern about the Digital Security Act passed by parliament on 18 September.The independent press freedom advocacy organisation, in a letter to Bangladesh president Abdul Hamid, called for returning the act to parliament for review.The letter said CPJ is concerned that this legislation, if allowed to become law, would violate constitutional guarantees of freedom of the press, and would create extensive legal dangers for journalists in the normal course of carrying out their professional activities.“CPJ respectfully urges you to exercise your constitutional authority to return the legislation to parliament for revisions that would eliminate these dangers,” read the letter signed by CPJ’s Asia Programme Coordinator Steven Butler.The letter outlined the concerns repeatedly expressed by the Bangladeshi journalists and asked the members of parliament to address those.“One of the most worrisome provisions of the Digital Security Act is an amendment added at the last minute in Section 43, which will allow police to arrest or search individuals without a warrant.“In addition, the Digital Security Act includes problematic aspects of Section 57 of the Information and Communications Technology Act, despite public promises by government ministers to eliminate it.“Section 57 has been repeatedly used to imprison journalists in defamation cases. Government ministers had previously acknowledged that police have misused Section 57, and had promised that procedures would be established to prevent this. Instead, journalists continue to be subject to the danger of arbitrary arrest in the normal course of their activities.”Also of concern, CPJ added, is the inclusion of the colonial-era Official Secrets Act in the Digital Security Act, which seems to contradict the Right to Information Act provisions, included elsewhere in the legislation. “The extension of the Official Secrets Act into the digital sphere escalates the hazards faced by investigative journalists who play a vital role exposing corruption in government.”The letter expressed fear about the extremely heavy fines and punishments, up to Tk 50 million (US$600,000) and life imprisonment depending on the offense, threaten to make journalism an unacceptably hazardous profession and will result in a timid press that cannot play the important role required to support a vital democracy in Bangladesh.CPJ also expressed concerns over the vague descriptions of potential offenses, such as hurting religious values or causing deterioration in law and order, and said this would invite arbitrary use and misuse of the law to restrict the media.Praising Bangladesh’s 46-year history as a secular democracy with strong affirmations of human rights and freedom of speech and the press, the body feared this legislation will damage that tradition, and severely harm the country’s standing among the community of democracies as a defender of press freedom.“We urge you to take action to prevent this, and ensure that the next bill the legislature sends you adheres to the guarantees made in Bangladesh’s constitution as well as to international norms,” the letter concluded.last_img read more

Sculpting tradition in modernity

first_imgHis inspirations from his predecessors have kindled in him the spark of creativity, where rootedness to living tradition acted as a point of departure, which has ultimately brought him to the creation of a series of sculptures under the title ‘The Babu, the Nayika and the Cat’ based on the urban-folk forms of the paintings famously known as ‘Kalighat Pat’developed in 19th century Calcutta around the temple of Kalighat. This series was first exhibited at the Indian Art Fair 2012 held in Delhi. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The bronze and fibre-glass sculptures displayed in the present show posit all the characteristic and visual philosophy of his works mentioned above.The lyrical lines, the rhythmic volume, the concentrated mass emerging out towards the dynamic outward surface from the still central core, creating the negative space through synchronization of positive volume, the rhythmic distortion of mythical figures from naturalistic conventions – all these aesthetic attributes of his works postulate his position as a modern and modernist sculptor emanating traditionally oriented contemporary values. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixApart from the bronzes of mythical and humanist subjects of his well known genre in this show there are six pieces of his Kalighat Pat based works, four of which are in coloured fibre glass and two in bronze.In developing these witty, humorous, lyrically rhythmic yet socially critical forms he has displayed a kind of post-modern values in the evaluation of a defunct tradition and using it to transpire some of the intrinsic features of contemporary life.last_img read more