Agents: Shropshire lads

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Dakar’s 2022 Youth Olympics postponed until 2026

first_img“The IOC and Senegal understand that this news will be disappointing for many young athletes. Both parties can only appeal to their understanding,” it added.IOC chief Thomas Bach thanked Senegal president President Macky Sall for their “exceptional relationship of trust and quality”.”I am sure that, together, we will organize fantastic Youth Olympic Games Dakar 2026 for Senegal, the entire African continent and all the young athletes of the world,” Bach said.The four-year delay was ratified by the IOC on the fist day of its conference moved from its intended location in Tokyo to video link. The 2022 Youth Olympic Games in Dakar will now take place instead in 2026, the IOC and hosts Senegal announced on Wednesday.The four-year delay was forced by the global health crisis generated by coronavirus, and the holding back by a year of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and a slew of other major international sporting competitions.”The postponement of Dakar 2022 allows the IOC, the National Olympic Committees and the International Federations to better plan their activities, which have been strongly affected by the postponement of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020,” read a joint statement issued by Olympic rulers the IOC and Senegal. “I take this opportunity to reaffirm my confidence in the Executive Board and welcome the commitment of its teams, working side by side with us, to make Dakar 2026, the first Olympic event in Africa, a successful and memorable occasion,” said President Sall.Singapore held the inaugural Summer Youth Games in 2010.  center_img Topics :last_img read more

COVID-19 pandemic to cost football $14 billion this year, says FIFA

first_imgThe COVID-19 pandemic is likely to cost club football $14 billion this year worldwide, around one third of its value, a leading official at global soccer body FIFA said on Wednesday.Olli Rehn, who heads the FIFA committee set up to tackle the effects of the pandemic, said that FIFA, along with financial consultants, had estimated the club game to be worth between $40 billion and $45 billion worldwide.He said the figure of $14 billion was based on the current scenario, where football is slowly restarting after a three-month hiatus earlier this year, but it would be a “different ball game” if the pandemic did not let up. FIFA has allocated $1.5 billion to help tackle the effects of the pandemic and Rehn said 150 of the 211 member associations had so far applied for funds.He said that, while football was slowly re-awakening, another downturn could not be ruled out.”The critical thing will be whether a vaccine will be developed and can be used, and that we have medical and other means to fully contain and tame the pandemic, and that is uncertain,” he said.”We cannot rule out worse developments and that would be another ball game if the pandemic were to continue in a severe form next year. Now we are working on the basis of the current scenario.” Topics : “Football has been hit very hard by the coronavirus pandemic,” Rehn, a former EU commissioner and now governor of the Bank of Finland, told Reuters television.”It has created plenty of turmoil at different levels with some professional clubs facing very serious difficulties. I’m also very concerned about youth academies and lower division clubs.”Rehn said that football in South America had been especially hard hit, while Africa and Asia were also a concern.”It is a real danger that the good work that has been done developing football in Asia and Africa could be ruined, so we want to soften the blow and maintain the development that has been done,” he said.last_img read more

UK roundup: ITV Pension Scheme, TPR, JLT deficit update

first_imgThe ITV Pension Scheme has agreed an asset-backed partnership with its sponsor, the UK broadcaster ITV, which will see the scheme backed by the renowned London Television Studios building in London.The deal will see the scheme’s deficit immediately reduce by £50m (€60.4m) on a funding basis, with a further 25 annual payments of £2.05m should the scheme remain in deficit.These payments will be updated by 5% on an annual basis.The deal will take the sponsor’s 2014 cash contribution to the scheme to £91m. Ownership of the Television Centre will remain with ITV in the meantime.The company’s finance director, Ian Griffiths, said the deal represented another step in the management of the company’s pension risk, and was a good deal for members and shareholders.In other news, the UK Pensions Regulator (TPR) has concluded its thematic review into the administration of pension schemes, and confirmed seven investigations into mass irregularities. The regulator set common data-accuracy targets for all private sector pension schemes, which were to be met at the end of 2012.This was set at 100% accuracy for all data collected after June 2010, and 95% for any data collected beforehand.TPR included 237 schemes in its investigation, of which 197 responded.Of this, three-quarters had met the 95% accuracy target.However, the regulator noted a third of the schemes did not measure accuracy before being included in its investigation.The regulator confirmed its seven investigations could lead to enforcement action.Finally, consultancy JLT has updated its IAS 19 deficit figures for pension schemes in the private sector.Research by the firm into the funding of firms found deficit levels were at £164bn at the end of March 2014.However, this is an £18bn improvement on the situation in 2013.Over the year, UK private sector defined benefit schemes saw assets increase by £20bn to £1.13trn, while liabilities fell by £2bn to £1.3trn.This left funding levels at 87%, a 1 percentage point increase.last_img read more

Gay rights ‘non issue’, Kenyan president says ahead of Obama visit

first_img Share 57 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring! President of Kenya, Uhuru KenyattaNAIROBI, Kenya (AFP) — Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday dismissed gay rights as a “non-issue” ahead of US President Barack Obama’s visit later this week.Kenyatta also said Deputy President William Ruto, who is still on trial at the International Criminal Court in The Hague accused of crimes against humanity, would also meet the US leader.“That is a non-issue to the people of this country, and it is definitely not on our agenda at all,” Kenyatta said in response to a question about gay rights.“We as a country, as a continent, are faced with much more serious issues which we would want to engage the US and all our partners with.”Obama’s planned Kenya visit was itself long delayed by Kenyatta’s indictment by the ICC.Those charges, linked to post-election ethnic violence in 2007-08, were suspended last year — in part, prosecutors say, because the Kenyan government thwarted the investigation by intimidating or paying off witnesses.Kenyatta said Obama would meet all members of the government.“Without a doubt, he is coming to meet the government that is in place, that includes all of us,” Kenyatta told reporters, standing alongside Ruto. “We shall all be meeting.”Ruto has spoken out against homosexuality, telling worshippers in church early this month it was “against the plan” of God.“We have heard that in the US they have allowed gay relations and other dirty things,” Ruto said, according to the Daily Nation newspaper.Homophobia is on the rise across much of Africa and homosexuality remains illegal in many countries, including Kenya where it was outlawed under British colonial legislation.In conservative Christian and Muslim countries in Africa, homophobia is a vote-winner.One Kenyan man, Kidala Vincent, had promised to lead a march of “5,000 totally naked men and women” to protest Obama’s support for gay rights, so that he can “see and understand the difference between a man and woman”.Gay rights activists warned of rising intolerance in Kenya, including attacks on homosexuals and alleged cases of lesbians being raped to “cure” them.Kenyatta said economic development and security were his priorities, with Obama to address a Global Entrepreneurship Summit in Nairobi this weekend.“Poverty, improved health for our people, better education, better roads, better security, these are our key focuses,” Kenyatta said, calling on citizens to give Obama a “hearty welcome” when he arrives.“The fight against terror will be central, we have been working in very close cooperation with American agencies,” he added.Kenya has been hit by a string of attacks by Somali-led Shebab insurgents.Kenyan troops crossed into Somalia in 2011 to fight the Al-Qaeda-linked insurgents, and later joined the African Union force, AMISOM, which is supporting Somalia’s internationally-backed government.The Shebab have since stepped up their operations in Kenya, dealing a blow to plans for the troops to serve as a buffer and protect the long, porous border.Obama’s visit will be his fourth to Africa since becoming US president, but his first to Kenya, his father’s birthplace, since taking office in 2009. He will travel on to Ethiopia. HealthInternationalLifestylePrint Gay rights ‘non issue’, Kenyan president says ahead of Obama visit by: Associated Free Press – July 21, 2015center_img Tweet Share Sharelast_img read more

Caniggia: Messi needs leaders at Barcelona

first_img read also:Messi, Suarez bid goodbye to Vidal ahead of Serie A switch Caniggia also spoke about Messi’s attempted Barca exit. “Messi was badly advised, they told him he could go for free. It seems his lawyers let the tortoise escape. It was obvious that he was not going to leave Barca.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldCan You Recognize These Cute Celeb Baby Faces?Who’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?The Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreTop 6 Iconic Supercar MoviesInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth? Argentine great, Claudio Caniggia, believes Leo Messi needs leaders around him at Barcelona to be successful. Caniggia can’t see Messi leading Barca to success on his own. “Maybe Messi lacks leadership when his team is not the better side, he falls,” said Caniggia. “Messi takes responsibility and it’s clear he has character, I don’t know what might have happened there but what I always say is that for him it’s hard, he suffers when he sees his team is not better than the other side. When he goes on the pitch and sees his team is not superior, that it won’t be so easy to win, he doesn’t feel good. He struggles in adversity.Advertisementcenter_img Loading… last_img read more

Charger Linksters Win Tri-Meet At Rising Sun

first_imgBoys Golf Tri-Meet @ Rising Sun.North Decatur 183, Rising Sun 186, Oldenburg Academy 190.Medalist: Bret Wagner-OA with 39.NORTH-Collin Bryant 42, Trey Nobbe 45, Brendan Spears 48, Cejay Parmer 48, Brady Espinda 48.Nice win on a course only one of our players has played before. Now we are on to the county meet Friday.Courtesy of Chargers Coach David Espinda.last_img

Brantley Gilbert concert postponed

first_imgCincinnati, OH—If you had plans to see Brantley Gilbert at Riverbend Music Center tonight, it is canceled due to an unprecedented amount of rainfall over the past few days and the rise of the Ohio River according to the RMC website.A rescheduled date has not been announced. Concertgoers should hold onto their original tickets, as they will be valid for the new date.Brantley Gilbert states on his Facebook page, “#BGNation…. I regret to inform y’all that we have to postpone our show this coming Thursday at Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati OH…. I hate seeing the flooding that is goin on in the area and want to be sure y’all are stayin safe out there…. I don’t like postponing shows…. But we can’t risk the safety of our band, our crew and our fans…. We’ll announce the rescheduled date soon…. Your ticket will be valid for the new date…. I love y’all and can’t wait to see y’all here soon…”Though Ohio River waters are not at flood stage yet, they have approached the action stage.last_img read more

Mr. Bruce Eugene Taylor

first_imgMr. Bruce Eugene Taylor, age 69, of near Pleasant, Indiana, entered this life on October 2, 1950 in Kokomo, Indiana. He was the loving son of Glenn Eugene and the late, Martha L. (Spall) Taylor. Bruce was raised in Kokomo and Sharpsville, Indiana and was a 1968 graduate of Sharpsville-Prairie High School. Bruce was inducted into the United States Army on June 9, 1970 in Indianapolis, Indiana, serving during the Vietnam War. He earned the National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with two stars, Vietnam Campaign Medal with 60 device, Civil Action Honor Medal and three Purple Hearts. Bruce was honorably discharged with the rank of Specialist 4th Class on June 1, 1976. Bruce was united in marriage on September 27, 1975 at the St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Kokomo, Indiana to Judith Ann “Jude” Mackey. This happy union was blessed with a daughter, Ashley and a son, Nick. Bruce and Jude shared nearly 45 years of marriage together until his death. He was employed for the Continental Steel Mill in Kokomo, Indiana for 18 years. Bruce was employed in the transportation security administration for the Northern Kentucky International Airport retiring after 15 years of service. He resided in Frankfort, Indiana for several years until moving to the Switzerland County community in 2002 where he resided until his passing. He was member of the Vevay American Legion Post #185. Bruce enjoyed hunting and spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren. Bruce passed away at 1:49 a.m., Friday, September 11, 2020, at the King’s Daughters’ Hospital in Madison, Indiana.Bruce will be deeply missed by his wife, Judith Ann “Jude” (Mackey) Taylor of near Pleasant, IN; his daughter, Ashley (Taylor) Dieter and her husband, Jeff of Columbus, IN; his son, Nick Taylor and his wife, Tarah of Colorado Springs, CO; his grandchildren, Kylee, McKenzie, Carmen, Maddy, Malaina, Owen and Chase; his father, Glenn Eugene Taylor of Vevay, IN; his sisters, Beverly Rounds and her husband, Steve of Sharpsville, IN and Barbara Jones and her husband, Ron of Kokomo, IN and his several nieces and nephews.He was preceded in death by his mother, Martha L. (Spall) Taylor and his step-mother, Barbara Jean “BJ” (Davis) Taylor.Graveside Services will be conducted on Thursday, September 17, 2020, at 1:00 p.m., at the Sharpsville Cemetery, East Elm Street, Sharpsville, Indiana.Full military rites will be conducted by the Honor Guard of the Kokomo VFW Post #1152.In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project. Cards are available at the funeral home or online at www.haskellandmorrison.comlast_img read more

City in Carrick’s sights

first_img Press Association But they bounced back with a league win over Crystal Palace on Saturday and then followed that up with an impressive Champions League victory over Bayer Leverkusen. City have not had it all their own way this season either after suffering a shock loss to Cardiff, and Carrick is confident United can come away from the Etihad with some reward. “I don’t think we’ve played that badly so far this season,” the midfielder told www.manutd.com. “The Swansea game was a good game, the Chelsea one was tight, but Liverpool is always a bit of a one-off game which you can’t really read too much into. “We won at the weekend, and on Tuesday we took it to another level and improved again. “Hopefully we can do it again on Sunday. The performance will breed confidence, and we’ll have to do it all again on Sunday.” David Moyes’ men take on cross-city rivals Manchester City having endured a tough start to the Barclays Premier League season and a frustrating summer in the transfer market. Marouane Fellaini was the only high profile arrival at Old Trafford in the transfer window and, following an opening day win over Swansea, United went on to draw with Chelsea and lose to fierce rivals Liverpool. center_img Michael Carrick is confident Manchester United are peaking at the right time as they prepare for the derby on Sunday.last_img read more