Schools to get more legal support

first_imgSchools to get Government-sponsored legal adviceStuff co.nz 6 July 2015Schools that face sudden court action by angry parents will soon get more legal support.The move follows the St Bede’s College rowing debacle in March, where the parents of student rowers Jordan Kennedy and Jack Bell successfully obtained a court injunction allowing the boys to race at the Maadi Cup.The school’s rector, Justin Boyle, tried to ban them after they breached security at Auckland Airport. Crown Law will prepare legal submissions, or briefing notes, for lawyers who represent school boards facing a legal challenge when there is little time to prepare, Ministry of Education head of sector enablement and support Katrina Casey said.The submissions would be based on past rulings.There had been a noticeable increase in the last year of schools seeking legal advice after parents threatened legal action, Secondary Principals Association New Zealand (Spanz) president Sandy Pasley said.http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/69986459/schools-to-get-governmentsponsored-legal-advice.htmllast_img read more

DeSantis Asks Capitol Officials to Replace Confederate General Statue

first_imgFlorida Governor Ron DeSantis on Wednesday asked U.S. Capitol officials to remove a statue of a Confederate general that has been part of the state’s display for nearly 100 years.DeSantis’ letter to the Capitol’s architect seeks to replace Edmund Kirby Smith’s statue with another honoring educator and civil rights pioneer Mary McLeod Bethune. It reads, “Dr. McLeod Bethune’s statue will represent the best of who we are as Floridians to visitors from around the world in our nation’s Capitol. Her legacy endures and will continue to inspire future generations.”The McLeod Bethune statue is expected to be on display in 2020.The Florida Legislature approved the statue switch last year. Soon after, the Lake County Historical Society agreed to take the Smith statue upon its removal from the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall Collection.McLeod Bethune will be the first black American to be honored in the Statuary Hall Collection, which includes two representatives from each of the 50 states.Smith was among 12 statues of former Confederate soldiers or politicians in the hall. His statue has been there since 1922.Efforts to replace it started following the shootings of nine people in 2015 at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, by a white supremacist. A reevaluation of Confederate memorials around the country has taken place since then.In 2016, lawmakers approved replacing the Smith statue and organized a panel to recommend a replacement.Bethune was one of three famous Floridians, with the others being environmental author Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Publix founder George Jenkins, that were recommended to the 2017 Legislature.Bethune emerged as the panel’s choice last year.last_img read more

Morgan and Finch’s men ready for blockbuster semi-final

first_imgCaption: England’s Eoin Morgan (left) and Australia’s Aaron Finch TOURNAMENT hosts England face off against Ashes rivals Australia in a blockbuster Cricket World Cup semi-final at Edgbaston today.Damaging losses to Sri Lanka and Australia left England fearing the worst for their last-four hopes, but an impressive response with wins over India and New Zealand booked their ticket to the knockout stages.Australia’s passage was far more serene, apart from a loss to India and an unexpected defeat to South Africa in their final group game, as the defending champions chase a sixth World Cup title.Just over two weeks ago, it was Australia celebrating at Lord’s as Jason Behrendorff and Mitchell Starc tore through England’s batting order to seal victory despite Ben Stokes’ valiant 89.But Edgbaston has not been a happy hunting ground for Australia, with their last win at the venue in any format coming in a 2001 Test match. England have won three straight ODIs against their opponents in Birmingham, too.History is not exactly on England’s side, though, with their last Cricket World Cup win against Australia coming back in 1992 when Ian Botham stole the show, taking 4-31 with the ball and contributing 53 with the bat.New Zealand, who defeated India in a rain-delayed semi-final at Old Trafford that spanned across two days, await in the final.TOURNAMENT SO FARA shock loss to Sri Lanka preceded England again falling short against Australia but the triumphs over India and New Zealand showed their mettle as they lived up to their billing as pre-tournament favourites.Australia missed out on top spot after losing to South Africa in their final group game but largely impressed during the group stages, Starc leading the wicket-taking list with 26.WHAT THEY SAIDEngland captain Eoin Morgan on the team’s return to form: “I think we’re probably more confident than we were three games ago. I think we are probably a different team that played four games ago and three games ago. I think the loss against Sri Lanka hurt us.It was an overhang into the Lord’s game and then when we came here we managed to produce something similar to the cricket we have been playing over the last four years and that was really encouraging.”Australia skipper Aaron Finch on his country’s World Cup record: “I think World Cups are very special, they bring out the best in the best players, so I think that’s why Australia have had a very rich history in World Cups. I mean, winning four of the last five, it’s been a great achievement.”OPTA FACTSEngland have won 10 of the last 12 ODIs between the countries, though one of their two defeats in that run came at Lord’s earlier in this tournament.Starc needs one more wicket to set a record for the most taken at a single World Cup – he sits level with Glenn McGrath’s tally of 26 from 2007.Steve Smith has only managed to record one half-century in his last 10 ODI innings against England, though that solitary 50 did come at Edgbaston (2017). He has been dismissed five times by Adil Rashid in the 50-over format.Australia have been involved in seven previous World Cup semi-finals and have progressed to the final every time.last_img read more

NBA and coronavirus: No positive COVID-19 tests reported on day before restart

first_imgA statement from the NBA and the National Basketball Players’ Association (NBPA) detailed 344 tests had taken place in the league’s on-site ‘bubble’ since the previous results were announced on July 20, with no players providing any cause for concern.There were similarly zero positives from 346 tests in the previous batch. On July 13, two players returned positives from 322 tests.The 22 participating teams each played three inter-squad scrimmages in the seven days up to and including Tuesday this week.The NBA and NBPA have announced the following: pic.twitter.com/ePfr1JFeOk— NBA (@NBA) July 29, 2020 The NBA has completed its final round of COVID-19 testing before the resumption of the 2019-20 season, with no players testing positive.The New Orleans Pelicans face the Utah Jazz and the Los Angeles Lakers take on the Los Angeles Clippers in a double header on Thursday at Walt Disney World, Orlando.last_img read more

Man arrested after hitting a woman with a bat for refusing to get him a cheeseburger

first_imgA 26-year-old Pennsylvanian man has been arrested after he reportedly struck a woman over the head with a baseball bat because she refused to get him a cheeseburger.According to the report, the incident occurred on Wednesday on the 600 block of Bedford Street in Johnstown.Officials say the suspect Michael Felton, began arguing with the victim about getting him a cheeseburger and when she refused, he retrieved a bat and struck her with it.The victim was taken to the hospital where she was treated for a head injury, while Felton was taken into police custody on charges of aggravated assault and recklessly endangering another person.It is unclear how the victim and the suspect know each other.last_img

Broward Man Accused of Threatening to Kill President Trump Denied Bond

first_imgA Broward County man who is accused of threatening to kill President Trump in a Facebook Live video was denied bond in Fort Lauderdale federal court on Wednesday.Prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s Office had asked that Chauncy Devonte Lump be held on pre-trial detention, arguing that he is a danger to the community. Judge Patrick Hunt agreed.The 26-year-old is facing a federal charge of threats against the President of the United States, in addition to a county charge of making a false bomb report.The criminal complaint states that he posted a seven-minute video on Facebook Live on January 3 under the username “BlackMan Vs America,” in which he threatened multiple times to kill the President.“He killed my leader, and I have to kill him. I am ready for Donald,” Lump says in the video.According to authorities, Lump made the video in response to the death of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, who was killed by an American drone strike in Baghdad, Iraq earlier this month.“I need to find the Donald, because if I don’t find him, I am going to have to blow up Broward County,” Lump adds, according to the complaint.The report also states that Lump had “what appears to be a loaded AK-47” in the Facebook Live.Lump admitted to law enforcement officials that he made the video and told them “the threats in the video were intended to be a joke,” according to the criminal complaint.“However, at no point in the video did Lump claim he was joking,” the complaint adds.Court records show that Lump lives in an Oakland Park apartment and holds a concealed weapon/firearm permit in Florida. He is also licensed and employed as a security officer.last_img read more

Florida Man Tries to Hire Detective Posing as “Hit Man” to Kill Brother

first_imgInvestigators say the suspect provided several Michigan addresses where his brother could be found and offered .25-caliber handgun and a bus ticket, along with the cash.Gary Hudge was arrested last Thursday and is jailed on $62,000 bail. He is also facing two drug charges.It is unknown whether an attorney is representing him. Authorities say a Florida man tried to hire a hit man to kill his brother and offered him a $160 down payment as part of the deal.It turned out the “hit man” was really an undercover detective from the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Department. As a result, officials have charged 54-year-old Gary Hudge with solicitation to commit murder.According to reports, Hudge met the detective during a drug investigation, and said that he wanted to hire the undercover detective to kill his brother, 57-year-old Thomas Hudge. The two were having a dispute about financial issues.Detectives have arrested a St. Pete Beach man after he attempted to hire them to murder his brother. He has been charged with Solicitation for Murder, Possession of a Controlled Substance and Sale of a Controlled Substance.https://t.co/0stU4Ca0aU pic.twitter.com/1CfW5pVjo5— Pinellas SO (@SheriffPinellas) January 17, 2020last_img read more

Fox News’ Sean Hannity Set to Interview President Trump Before Super Bowl

first_imgFox News host Sean Hannity will interview President Trump in a piece that will air just before the Super Bowl next week.Trump expects to be in Palm Beach County for the big game. He typically hosts a Super Bowl party at his Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach.The interview is expected to be taped in the White House, according to SI.com.It is not unusual for a president to be interviewed immediately before the Super Bowl. According to The Hill, the network that carries the Super Bowl traditionally airs interviews with the sitting president. Rights to the game work on a rotating basis between CBS, NBC and Fox, with Fox running the game this year.Hannity says he intends to ask the commander-in-chief about the Senate impeachment trial, as well as the state of the U.S. economy and the recent Trump-ordered killing of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani.The game, between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers, begins at 6:30 p.m. The interview will be included in Fox’s pregame show and will air at around 3:30 p.m.The Federal Aviation Administration last week issued an advisory that flight restrictions will be in place from January 31 to February 2.last_img read more

Magnitude 7.7 earthquake has been reported off coast of Jamaica

first_imgA 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit off the island of Jamaica on Tuesday.The quake was recorded 117 kilometers northwest of Lucea, Jamaica.There is now a Tsunami warning in effect. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issues tsunami alert for Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Cuba. Anywhere Within 300KM Of The Earthquake At Risk For “ hazardous waves”This is a developing story.last_img

LONGSHOT TAP BACK DOMINANT IN TAKING $200,000 GOLDEN STATE JUVENILE BY SIX LENGTHS UNDER ESPINOZA

first_imgLONGSHOT TAP BACK DOMINANT IN TAKING $200,000 GOLDEN STATE JUVENILE BY SIX LENGTHS UNDER ESPINOZA; TRAINED BY BONDE, COLT BY EINSTEIN  GETS SEVEN FURLONGS IN 1:24.98SPONSORED BY THE CTBA, RACE IS PART OF GOLDEN STATE SERIES FOR CAL-BRED OR SIRED HORSESARCADIA, Calif. (Nov. 1, 2019)–In a direct affront to his 14-1 odds, Richard Barton’s homebred Tap Back was in command throughout today’s $200,000 Golden State Juvenile at Santa Anita, powering to a six length win under Victor Espinoza.  Trained by Jeff Bonde, Tap Back got seven furlongs in 1:24.98.Sponsored by the CTBA, the Golden State Juvenile is part of the lucrative Golden State Series, available to eligible California-bred or sired horses.Breaking from post position three, Tap Back, a 2-year-old colt by Einstein, out of the Tapit mare Tap Tap Ur It, went to the front out of the gate, opened up on eventual runner-up Cali Dude by 2 ½ lengths at the quarter pole and was in a race of his own late.A first-out Cal-bred maiden winner going 5 ½ furlongs three starts back at Del Mar on Aug. 16, Tap Back was most recently a well beaten fourth in the restricted Capote Stakes at Los Alamitos Sept. 21 and paid $30.00, $13.80 and $9.40 among a field of 11 today.Bred by Adena Springs and Richard Barton Enterprises, Tap Back now has two wins from four starts and with the winner’s share of $110,000, he now has earnings of $160,475.Off as the 3-1 favorite, Cali Dude kept to his task through the drive and was second by a half length over longshot Papster.  Off at 3-1 with Ruben Fuentes, Cali Dude paid $5.20 and $4.20.Off at 44-1 with Tyler Baze, Papster paid $13.20 to show.Fractions on the race were 22.13, 44.98 and 1:10.75.last_img read more