Carr’s Milling Industries said it has weathered storms and fire as it delivered annual results ahead of expectations last month.The Carlisle-based agriculture and food company said its Silloth flour mill lost three months’ sales due to damage left by the local McVitie’s biscuit factory in floods in January, as well as the fire that destroyed the New Rathbones bakery in Carlisle in February. But the acquisition of the Meneba mil-ling business, which has two mills in Kirkcaldy, Fife, and Maldon, Essex, has been successful, doubling the size of Carr’s flour milling operation.Carr’s also bought various assets from the administrators of animal feed firm W & J Pye in 2005. This allowed it to rationalise and close mills at Black-burn, Penrith and Shrewsbury. Prospects for further growth are good, with flour trading strongly and the group’s engineering division continuing to improve its performance, chairman Lord Inglewood said.The company said pre-tax profits in the year to Septem-ber 3 were up by 19.8% to £6.14 million on turnover ahead by 23.4% at £192.1m.
UEFA announced on Friday that PSG will be investigated for a potential breach of financial fair play (FFP) rules after adding Kylian Mbappe to the capture of Neymar from Monaco in a deal that could rise to 180 million euros.Soler dismissed claims that Barca’s status as one of the world’s leading clubs is being threatened by their inability or unwillingness to match the lavish spending of other clubs.“We haven’t lost any international status for having common sense and not putting the financial viability of the club at risk.”Barca also insist that five-time World Player of the Year Lionel Messi will soon sign a new contract, tying him to the club until 2021.The club announced the agreement of the deal with Messi, 30, on July 5, but the Argentine has yet to formally put pen to paper.“I want to send a message of calm to the members. There is no problem,” added Soler over the delay.“When the club announced an agreement it is validated by both parties.“All that is lacking is the protocol.”Share on: WhatsApp Barcelona, Spain | AFP | A leading Barcelona board member claimed Liverpool set an asking price of 200 million euros ($238 million) for midfielder Philippe Coutinho as the Catalan giants criticised the rampant inflation in the football transfer market on Saturday.Albert Soler, Barca’s director of institutional relations, said the club’s under-fire board would not put the future of the institution at risk by bending to excessive demands.“Liverpool put a price of 200 million euros on a player that we wanted,” Soler told reporters at a press conference held to explain Barca’s haphazard signing policy this summer.Barca ended the window making a slight profit on transfers after receiving a world record 222 million euros from Neymar’s move to Paris Saint-Germain.Despite splashing over 190 million on five signings, most notably 105 million euros on 20-year-old French winger Ousmane Dembele, Soler claimed Barca wouldn’t been drawn into an arms race with the cash-rich Premier League and Qatar-backed PSG.“We didn’t want to put at risk the heritage of the club. This is a club of 150,000 members and has to be managed with coherence and responsiblity,” added Soler.“We won’t get involved in the game of a market that has lost its way.“This board won’t put the club at risk. UEFA and the European Clubs Association (ECA) have to reflect and make a decision.”
The former president largely used the money in his account to fund the “Blatter Foundation” in his home town of Viege, Switzerland.“There appears to have been little oversight over these accounts though they were accounted for in FIFA’s financial records,” says the report.Between 2006 and 2014, “a high-ranking FIFA official”, who was Blatter, gave “over $2.5 million to numerous institutions, charitable organisations, and his home town.”The report also highlights black-market sales of match tickets and the possibility of abusing the unsupervised funding of FIFA’s global development programmes.The report welcomes a series of measures recommended by the reform committee on which Infantino served before his election, adopted by FIFA in February 2016.“Considerable improvements have been made, or are in the process of being made, in the areas of governance, committees, compliance, finance, compensation policy, commercialisation of rights, funding for global football development, selection of the FIFA World Cup host, and ticketing operations,” the report says.Yet FIFA still faces criticism from outside after replacing the leaders of its ethics in committee, Hans Joachim-Eckert and Cornel Borbely, and sacking Miguel Maduro just eight months after he was appointed chairman of the governance committee.Maduro told a British parliamentary committee that Infantino interfered with the committee’s work, ignored rules and ultimately sacked him in order to maintain power.On Wednesday, the Council of Europe in Strasbourg was debating sports governance and a report by MEP Anne Brasseur from Luxembourg, chair of it sports committee, which asserts that FIFA has not changed under Infantino.The BDO report was more optimistic.“These reforms and improvements are still being completed, even though a wide range of measures has already been implemented. Many of the reforms described herein are unique in the world of sports governance and may also serve as a model for other sports organisations,” the report said.Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Sepp Blatter looks on with fake dollars note flying around him thrown by a protester during a press conference at the football’s world body headquarter’s on July 20, 2015 in Zurich. AFP PHOTO / FABRICE COFFRINILausanne, Switzerland | AFP | A copy of a report seen by AFP into the state of FIFA commissioned by Gianni Infantino after his election as president shines a light on the murky ways of the old regime at world football’s governing body.The 98-page “Progress at FIFA – Status Report” gives details of lavish spending, particularly by Sepp Blatter, the former president, and Jerome Valcke, his Secretary General, who had a taste for private jets and unjustified expenses.The report covers the period from 2006 to 2015, the year the FIFA corruption scandal exploded, and was put together by Swiss audit company BDO who submitted it in October last year, though it has remained confidential.BDO highlighted the lack of “a clear set of rules and regulations concerning expense reimbursement” resulting in payments “that would not be permitted under today’s guidelines.”Without giving any names, the report says “two former members of the FIFA Executive Committee were reimbursed for expenses in the aggregate amount of over $780,000 (632,000 euros) and $390,000, respectively, incurred during only one year.”Over a five-year period, “a former high-ranking FIFA official was reimbursed for travel expenses in the total amount of over $300,000.” According to a source close to the report who was interviewed by AFP, that official was Worawi Makudi of Thailand, who has been suspended for five years for other misdeeds.The late Chuck Blazer, an American member of the FIFA Executive Committee until he was accused of corruption in 2013 and turned FBI informer, is also singled out.Even though he was skimming millions of dollars from television rights contracts as a US court heard last year, Blazer did not scorn smaller scams. Having attended two FIFA events at the same venue a few days apart, Blazer was reimbursed for two return flights even though he had only made one. The non-existent extra tickets cost $13,000.The son of a former member of the Executive Committee obtained $15,000 in compensation and expenses for a FIFA event which his father did not attend. The source identified the father as the late Isaac Sasso Sasso, from Costa Rica, who, according to FIFA, had one son, Alfredo.– Millions on jets –The audit also highlights the lack of any “approval process for the use of private jets,” particularly by Valcke, who has since been suspended by FIFA.FIFA spent an average of US $4.9 million per year on jets 2010 and 2014, and $7.9 million in 2014 alone.In 2016, the first year of Infantino’s reign, “spending on private jet flights dropped by 88 percent” compared to 2010-14, said the report.Until 2014, Blatter and Valcke each had sole control of an account into which FIFA paid money for them to donate to charities and organisations of their choice.
According to reports, a municipal police chief in Mexico has been arrested for allegedly being involved in the mass murder of a family near the U.S.-Mexican border.Mexican authorities have arrested Fidel Alejandro Villegas, and authorities believe the murders were due to conflict between local drug cartels battling for control of the area.3 women, and 6 children were killed in Sonora state on November 4th.The arrest comes a month after President Donald Trump said he wanted to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist organizations.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake rattled Puerto Rico Wednesday morning. It’s the latest of a series of constant earthquakes that have struck the region this month. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the latest earthquake occurred near Guanica. Seismologists in southern Puerto Rico are studying recently buried sensors they hope will reveal answers behind the constant and unusual shaking in the region that has terrified residents.More than 1,280 earthquakes have hit Puerto Rico’s southern region since Dec. 28, more than two dozen of them magnitude 4.5 or greater, according to the USGS.Among them is a 6.4 magnitude quake that hit on Jan. 7, killing one person and injuring nine others.
A civil lawsuit has been filed by U.S. Attorney General of the Virgin Islands, Ms. Denise George, after she authorized an investigation into Epstein months ago.The lawsuit claims that Jeffrey Epstein and his accomplices trafficked young women, ages 12-17, throughout the U.S. Virgin Islands.The lawsuit seeks forfeit of Epstein’s private Caribbean islands, which are worth an estimated $86 million, as well as unspecified monetary damages and the breakup of corporate entities that Epstein allegedly used to provide him with girls who sexually serviced him three times each day.Anyone who may have been trafficked by the “Epstein Enterprise” in the Virgin Islands is asked to call the U.S. Attorney General’s Office at (800) 998-7559.
Miami-Dade Police officers are preparing for the worst as they increase security measures ahead of Super Bowl 54 that take places in Miami, Feb.2nd.Police say those who will be in attendance at Super Bowl 54 will be going through checkpoints similar to those at airports on Sunday.U.S. Customs and Border Protection operations will also be taking place in the air and ocean. Officials say they will have Black Hawk helicopters patrolling the area. K-9 units will also be patrolling the area to sniff out explosives.Last week, authorities used X-ray units to monitor trucks going into the stadium prior to the game.Officials say they have been preparing for months and are ready for anything.Police say the goal is to plan for the worst, and expect for the best.
A 21-year-old man was caught on video abusing his friend’s dog in a Brickell elevator.Surveillance video footage showed Karim Ellaisy getting into the elevator with the 6-month-old Siberian Husky, shortly after the dog appeared to have had an accident and that’s when Ellaisy grabbed the dog by its leash and slammed him into a wall before throwing punches repeatedly.Ellaisy was arrested during the last week of January, and is being charged with animal cruelty.According to reports Ellaisy bonded out, and is expected back in court on Feb. 28.
A Palm Beach County mother said pornographic videos have popped up during her child’s digital learning lesson.The mother, who asked to stay anonymous, says she thinks hackers are using links to get into Google Classroom. “The teacher sends a link, here join this class. So either they’re utilizing hacking to get into it, or the kids in the class are sharing that link with other people,” the mother said.Palm Beach County School District Police Chief Frank Kitzerow said they are trying to use all their resources to try to track the hackers down.Deputy Superintendent of Schools Keith Oswald said students who are sharing those unique codes with others will face consequences.“We’re actually working with Google right now to put in additional security elements and were going to roll those out to teachers next week,” said Oswald.When the mother reached out to school officials, she says they responded right away and told her they are working to fix the problems.
LNP’s senior officers and leaders of the Muslim community posed shortly after the meeting.The Muslim Community comprising the Grand Mufti, Muslim and Imams Councils, has praised the Liberia National Police (LNP) Inspector General (IG), Patrick Sudue for his “exceptional leadership in protecting lives and properties,” a release has said.According to the release, the appraisal of Sudue’s leadership was done at a meeting convened by the LNP to ensure security arrangements for Muslims across the country during the observance of this year’s Holy Month of Ramadan.The heads of the Muslim groups in the meeting, included the Grand Mufti of Liberia, Sheikh Abubakar Mory D. Sumaworo, the head of the Imam Council, Imam Ali Krayee, and the Secretary General of the Muslim Council, Sheikh Arkibu Sheriff.The Grand Mufti of Liberia, Sheikh Abubakar Mory D. Sumaworo was full of praises for the distinct leadership of Patrick Sudue as head of the LNP. Grand Mufti Sumaworo described Sudue as one of the best IGs in the country’s security history.The Grand Mufti noted that since Sudue took over the leadership of the LNP, “he has been proactive and creative in the discharge of his duties, which has helped greatly in the fight against crimes and abuses.”The Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Liberia appreciated the leadership of the LNP for prioritizing the Muslim community, especially during the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan. He added that there are a lot of security concerns during this period of fasting.He called on IG Sudue to continue his great works in providing effective security services for the people of Liberia.The head of the Imam Council of Liberia, Imam Ali Krayee applauded IG Sudue for his great works.Krayee used the occasion to recount the great efforts of IG Sudue in providing security for Muslims during last year’s observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan.He noted that due to the effective deployment of police officers at various Mosques, last year’s Holy Month of Ramadan was observed without report of any confusion.Krayee expressed the hope that this year’s security provision to the Muslim community will go a long way in ensuring a more peaceful observance of Ramadan.IG Sudue appreciated the Muslim leaders for recognizing his great leadership role. He said his idea of providing security for Muslims at various Mosques is aimed at providing a space where they can commute to their various places of worship without being attacked or their personal effects taken away from them.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)