Facebook Previous articleIrish Artistic Team of the Year 2011Next articleMoves to put new local authority tenants on probation admin Linkedin Twitter Print Email NewsLocal NewsWar of words between Ryanair and airport bossesBy admin – September 29, 2011 508 Advertisement WhatsApp BUDGET airline boss, Michael O’Leary, has taken a second sideswipe at the management of Shannon airport, accusing them of “trying to suppress their mismanagement”.The Ryanair chief executive has written to a local authority, claiming that traffic at the airport has dropped by 61 per cent between 2007 and 2011 with Ryanair business growing by 48 per cent during the same period.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up He wrote this letter after the council took him to task for his approach in an earlier letter to them. Mr Ryan was told: “Shannon is focussed on building a sustainable traffic base and is happy to work with all airlines including Ryanair to do that. But it has to be on a basis that makes financial sense for both the airport and the airline”. In his latest letter to Clare County Council, Mr O’Leary accused the airport management of “trying to suppress their mismanagement of their continuing traffic declines from the local people”.He urged the council to ask Shannon airport board “to explain why they increased Shannon’s passenger charges by 33 per cent in November 2010 when it’s traffic had collapsed from 2.8 million in 2009 to 1.8 million in 2010.He also pointed out that the airport had rejected Ryanair’s predictions for their traffic numbers in 2011.“Why don’t you ask them what their traffic forecast actually is, given that Shannon Airport no longer publishes monthly traffic figures….”Previously, the airline boss wrote to Clare County Council on foot of a motion which was passed at council which he described as “inaccurate and absurd”, calling on Ryanair to deliver on its promise to increase passenger traffic at the airport following the abolition of the €10 travel tax.In response to that letter, a spokesperson for Shannon said: “Ryanair’s letter to local councillors is self-serving and has no basis in fact. “It is both bizarre and ironic considering that Ryanair, in accusing the airport of overpricing, has itself recently introduced a compulsory €2 each-way ‘improbability charge’ for all passengers”.The spokesperson further claimed that Ryanair’s so-called ‘estimate’ for traffic at Shannon is false and bears no relation to the true expected position at the airport for 2011.“Passenger charges at Shannon increased by €1.58 per passenger in late 2010. This was first adjustment in six years, as prices had been frozen since 2004. During that same six-year period, Ryanair’s charges increased by up to 1,100% in some cases”. According to the spokesperson, “Ryanair’s new ‘improbability charge’ increase is 27 per cent greater than last year’s passenger charge adjustment at Shannon.“Shannon’s charges are now in line with those at other regional airports such as Cork, Ireland West Knock, Aberdeen, Southampton, Porto, Gothenburg and Malmo.“The false claim (re mismanagement) is a self-serving Ryanair untruth”. Concerning the latest letter, the spokesperson declined to comment on the basis that it had already made its position clear in relation to a previous communication to Clare County Council from Mr O’Leary.
On the Blogs: India-Bangladesh Power Project Is Out of Step With the Times FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Jai Sharda for the Huffington Post:The plant, which has been delayed significantly from the original plans of commissioning by 2016, will be very expensive, despite major subsidies from both Bangladesh and India and multi-year lows in coal prices. The plant is set to receive subsidies worth over US$ 3 billion over its life in the form of income tax and operational subsidies from the Bangladeshi government and a soft loan from the Indian government-owned EXIM Bank. Despite this massive subsidy, the cost of electricity produced from the plant will be more than 30% in excess of the average cost of electricity in Bangladesh. This increase is after Bangladesh has already seen rapid increase in power costs over the last five years.The Rampal plant is part of the Power System Master Plan (PSMP) formulated by Bangladesh in 2010 to add generating capacity to the energy-starved country. The trouble with the plant, though, is that it violates almost all the objectives of the PSMP.The plant will use outdated supercritical technology, violating the objective to move towards a low-carbon economy.The technology, as well as the coal that the plant will use, will be imported into Bangladesh, contrary to the objective of the PSMP to develop domestic resources. In addition, it will use outdated supercritical technology, violating the objective to move towards a low-carbon economy. Since the plant is based on subsidies, it is also against the objective to build efficient capacities.All the major players involved in the development of the Rampal project are Indian government-owned entities. The plant is promoted by the Indian government-owned NTPC Ltd. The loan component of the plant is set to be provided by the Indian EXIM Bank. The main order for the construction of the plant was reported to be given to BHEL, again owned by the Indian government.Ironically, the Indian government is supporting the development of this coal-fired plant at a time when India itself is moving away from coal-based power. India has made significant progress on its ambitious renewable energy capacity addition program, which targets 175GW of renewable capacity by 2022. Simultaneously, the Indian Power Minister has made it clear that India will minimize its usage of imported coal. Indian coal power plants are operating at an average Plant Load Factor of below 60%.Full item: The India-Bangladesh Rampal Power Project Is A Waste Of Resources. Here’s An Alternative
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The forward’s bid to have his red card from the game against Clare overturned was rejected by the central appeals committee and the Shannonsiders have confirmed they will not take their case to the D.R.A
Prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty against a Best Buy worker who is accused of brutally killing a Boca Raton woman after installing appliances in her home this summer.Police arrested 21-year-old Jorge Lachazo, of Hialeah, on charges of first-degree murder, first-degree arson, and armed burglary, after he allegedly killed Evelyn Udell.Lachazo is accused of using a wooden mallet to beat the 75-year-old and then dousing her in a chemical that caught fire, burning nearly her whole body.She died at a Delray Beach hospital shortly after the attack.The documents filed on Tuesday said the “capital felony was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel.”A plea of not guilty was filed in September.A status check is set for Thursday at 8:30 a.m.Udell was married for 55 years, a mother of two, a grandmother of six, and a retired college library worker, according to The Palm Beach Post.
A local police officer shot and killed a man’s service dog on Monday, the Okeechobee Police Department confirms.The owner of the dog, Larry Massey, said an officer misunderstood what was happening while he was having a seizure.Police said there is an active investigation into the shooting of the man’s dog, named Butch.The department said it would release more information on Tuesday.This story is developing.
Federal officials announced Wednesday that they have made multiple arrests in a fraud and corruption scheme that allegedly took place at the VA Hospitals in West Palm Beach and Miami.According to the U.S. Attorney for South Florida, Ariana Fajardo Orshan, 15 VA employees, medical and general supply vendors are now accused of fraud.She explained that VA employees would team up with vendors to place orders for medical supplies. Thee employees would then indicate in the VA’s computers that the orders were filled when they were not.The vendors would give those employees a portion of the money they received from the Department of Veterans Affairs for the items.Orshan says that in other cases, VA employees inflate the prices of items.Officials add that the suspects caused the Department of Veterans Affairs to pay millions of dollars for those orders.In another case, 48-year-old Lisa Anderson of Delray Beach has been charged with making false statements in connection with an application filed with the VA to have a vendor company falsely designated as a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business.All 15 suspects have been arrested, including one in North Carolina, according to Orshan. If convicted, they could each face up to 50 years behind bars.Four of the accused individuals appeared in federal court in West Palm Beach on Wednesday morning, where they were formally charged.They have been identified as 52-year-old Clinton Purvis, 44-year-old Christopher Young, 59-year-old Kenneth Scott, as well as a former VA employee, 62-year-old Robert Johnson.“It’s a very sad day in our country. These people have a duty to their job and their post,” says Orshan. “I am sad to report there are a few bad apples that have been arrested.”She added that the fraud operation goes back to at least 2009.A prosecutor told the judge the cases involved bribery and kickbacks, in which vendors and VA employees worked together to defraud the agency.At least two of those four suspects entered not guilty pleas. All four were later released on bond.This is a developing story.
That is the highest number of mass killings in the U.S.,however, in 2017 there were more deaths from mass killings. Walmart shooting in El Paso among deadliest gun massacres in US history In 2019, there were a total of 41 mass killings, according to a database gathered by The Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University. Of this 41 mass killings, 33 were mass shootings. More than 210 people were killed. The deadliest attack was the shooting at an El Paso Walmart that killed 22 people in August.
A Florida daycare teacher was arrested after police say she broke a 3-year-old child’s leg because he was misbehaving in class.According to a police report by the Boca Raton police, the child’s mother dropped her son off at the Early Learning Academy on Jan. 10th. The boy’s father got a call around 11 a.m. and staff members told him the boy’s leg was injured from kicking a metal chair. The boy did not get picked up till around 3:45 p.m.The child’s mother told police her son was in severe pain so she took him to the hospital where they took x-rays and was diagnosed with a fracture to his right leg.Boca Raton police say the boy said he got hurt when his teacher, 24-year-old Estefany Acosta, sat on him because he was misbehaving.Acosta was questioned by authorities and she initially stated that the boy suffered the injury from kicking a metal chair, but later changed her story when school administrators told her the classroom was under video surveillance. “she got nervous and changed her story. Acosta claimed that [the child] could have been injured when she accidentally fell on him,” the arrest report stated.Police reviewed the surveillance video and found that Acosta did injure the child. She was later arrested for aggravated child abuse and booked into the Palm Beach County Jail.
The New Orleans Police Department has issued an arrest warrant for Cleveland Browns and former LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., for a simple battery incident.A video captured OBJ slapping a Superdome security officer on the butt following LSU’s College Football Playoff National Championship win over Clemson on Monday after the officer threatened to arrest LSU players if they continued to smoke cigars.According to NOLA.com, authorities originally attempted to charge Beckham with misdemeanor sexual battery, but a local judge declined it.The Browns released a statement: