Authorities rush to finish prepping Jakarta’s Sebaru island for ‘quarantine v.2’

first_imgIndonesian authorities are moving fast to ensure that the facilities on Sebaru Kecil Island are finished for observing the evacuees from the World Dream cruise ship in Hong Kong, which was released from quarantine on Feb. 9.The World Dream crewmen had already tested negative during their quarantine in Hong Kong, but authorities are taking no chances amid concerns over the increasing spread of the novel coronavirus outside China.The uninhabited island, which is part of the Thousand Islands archipelagic regency of Jakarta, will be “home” for 188 Indonesian nationals who arrived on Wednesday afternoon to start their 14 days of observation.The newly refurbished facilities were inspected on Thursday by the joint team managing the quarantine, comprising personnel from the Office of the Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister, the Health Ministry, the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), the Indonesian Military (TNI) and the National Police.Read also: BNPB promises better facilities for quarantined World Dream crew membersThe necessary medical and security equipment were shipped on Wednesday from Jakarta aboard the TNI’s KRI Banda Aceh and unloaded on Sebaru early Thursday. The TNI also provided a helicopter in the case of emergencies.More than 760 personnel from the TNI and the BNPB, as well as a medical team from the Health Ministry, have been deployed to Sebaru for the 14-day observation protocol as recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).Marine Corps soldiers walked after the Indonesian Humanitarian Relief Task Force Ceremony on Sebaru Island in Mako Kolinlamil, Jakarta, Wednesday (02/26/2020). A total of 195 personnel of the Integrated Joint Task Command (Kogasgabpad) consisting of TNI-Polri, BNPB, Ministry of Health, and Seribu Islands Regency government officials were seconded to handle the observation of 188 Indonesian citizens from ABK World Dream on Sebaru Island. (Antara/M Risyal Hidayat)“We are already 85 percent ready. What remains are the supporting facilities,” TNI commander Air Chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto said in a  media statement from the BNPB released on Thursday.On inspecting the team’s progress, Hadi instructed that all preparations be finished before 8 a.m. on Friday.The crewmen were transferred at sea to the Navy’s Dr. Soeharso Hospital Ship on Wednesday afternoon in the Durian Strait of Karimun regency, Riau Islands province, and then directly transported to Sebaru island.Read also: Navy quarantines 188 Indonesian World Dream crew members in JakartaBNPB logistics and equipment director Rustian emphasized that the facilities for Indonesia’s “second edition” of quarantine on Sebaru were better than that provided in Natuna for the first group of 238 evacuees from Hubei.Sebaru Kecil Island was once the site of a drug rehabilitation center, and retains most of the center’s structural facilities.Activities on Sebaru Kecil Island in the Thousand Islands, Jakarta, Monday (2/26/2020). The island will be the site of observation for 188 WNI ABK World Dream. (Antara/Akbar Nugroho Gumay)The island had eight well-maintained buildings that were being repurposed for the quarantine, said Rustian. Isolation rooms and health posts were also being prepared.The evacuated World Dream crewmen would take up residence in the main building, which had been modified for use as an observation center, Rustian said, who added that men and women would stay in separate buildings.“Sebaru island is a home. There are decent bedrooms, all necessary facilities and is generally much better than Natuna. It can accommodate around 200 people,” he said. (syk)Topics :last_img read more

Ham shortage in Iloilo? Won’t happen, says PVO

first_imgPeople buy ham as preparation for Christmas dinner. The Iloilo Provincial Veterinary Office says there is enough supply of the holiday staple this December despite the 90-day pork ban due to African swine fever. REUTERS ILOILO – Will there be a shortage of hamthis Christmas? According to Dr. Darel Tabuada, VeterinarianIV at the PVO, there will be enough hams this holiday season amid concerns onthe 90-day pork ban in the province due to African swine fever (ASF). The Provincial Veterinary Office (PVO) assuredthis won’t happen. “Base sa amon monitoring walagid man sang changes sangpagsagod sang baboy as usual gihapon,” added Tabuada./PN “For the province, indi lang gid man Luzon ang naga-supply. We still have our local suppliers and may ara kita nga supplier fromother areas like Cebu,” Tabuada added. He said that brands from Mindanaoand other parts of Visayas can also replenish the Luzon brands that they pulledout from the market given that these products have necessary permits. center_img “Tanannga pasalubong halin sa affected areas especially halin sa Luzon nga dal-on diri sa Visayas ang gina-confiscate,”added Tabauda, citing that these measures will ward off possible ASF breach. Based on PVO’s latest monitoring, thereis enough supply of ham and pork products in the market that could still lasteven after Christmas season. Tabuada advised Ilonggos from Luzonareas coming home for holidays not to bring processed pork products.  Quarantine officers detailed in airport andsea ports strictly enforce pork ban, Tabuada said Consumers need not worry about theshortage of ham brands from Luzon, noting local brands could still supply themarket, he said. Tabuada also said that local backyardfarmers were not affected by ASF scare. last_img read more

FC IfeanyiUbah Appoints iGamingSports.com to Help Promote Nigerian Football

first_imgWith a roster of current Nigerian stars in the EPL – such as Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi, Odion Ighalo, Victor Moses, John Mikel Obi, Ahmed Musa and Isaac Success – Dr Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah, owner of FC Ifeanyi Ubah and Managing Director/CEO of Capital Oil and Gas Industries Ltd, still believes there is work to be done.“We want to raise the game and increase opportunities for our Nigerian youngsters,“ said Dr Ubah. “Every boy and girl in Nigeria that aspires to play football must to be given the opportunity and we want to show the world that the domestic football in Nigeria is very much on the up. Our partnerships with West Ham United and iGamingSports.com provide us with the tools to learn from the best, and are a catalyst to enhancing awareness of our wonderful national game in Nigeria.”“We’re privileged that FC IfeanyiUbah has chosen us to represent them and excited to show what Nigerian football has to offer,” said Peter. “It’s time to tell the world that Africa has arrived.’Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Newly crowned 2016 Federation Cup winners, FC IfeanyiUbah, has selected the UK-based agency iGamingSports.com, to help raise the international profile of Nigerian club football.The appointment comes after iGamingSports.com helped broker the partnership between FC IfeanyiUbah and West Ham United, in a move that saw the club become the Hammers’ first ever Nigerian Football Partner, and has already seen the launch of a number of key initiatives designed to improve coaching, skills and grassroots football in Nigeria.“There isn’t a footballing talent pool in the world that’s deeper than Nigeria,” said Managing Consultant for Africa & Asia at iGamingSports.com and the former First Secretary to the British High Commission in Nigeria, Peter Stephenson OBE. “Couple that with the levels of drive and ambition that have been exemplified at FC IfeanyiUbah, and you have a potent combination that could be incredibly exciting on the global footballing stage.”last_img read more

World Cup playoff: Ghana vrs Egypt moved to Tuesday Oct. 15

first_imgGhana will now play Egypt in the first leg of the final qualifying round to the Brazil 2014 World Cup, on Tuesday, October 15, at the Babayara Stadium in Kumasi.The Ghana Football Association (GFA) had initially fixed Sunday, October 13 for the game but an official statement from the GFA says the decision to change the date “is meant to give Black Stars coach Kwesi Appiah more training time with the team before the match in Kumasi”.“It also falls in line with FIFA’s decision of playing the first-leg of the playsoff between 11 and 15 October.“The Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi remains the venue for the match.Kick off will be at 16:00GMT,” a statement said.However, there are speculations that the FA was forced to shift the date because, Sunday October 13 is known by the people of the Ashanti Kingdom as an ‘Akwasidae’ or a day of cleansing.Traditionally, teams that play on such a day do not do well and often lose games. The second leg is planned for between 15 and 19 November of this year.Two-leg ties will be played between both nations with the aggregate winner going to the finals in Brazil next year.last_img read more