St. Louis, Home of Peabody and Arch Coal, Votes to Move to Renewables FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享NBC News:St. Louis became the 47th American city to set a goal of getting all of its electricity from clean, noncarbon sources with a vote by local lawmakers Friday — a significant watershed given its long-standing ties to the fossil fuel industry.The unanimous vote by the Board of Aldermen commits the city to transition to solar, wind and other renewable energy sources by 2035. The city will assemble a group — made up of workers, environmentalists, business people, utility representatives and others — to draw up a plan by December 2018 for reaching the benchmark.The 100 percent clean energy goal has been set by many cities that have already made substantial progress in obtaining power from sources other than coal and natural gas. The challenge is steeper for St. Louis, a city that still gets about 95 percent of its power from utilities that burn fossil fuels and from nuclear power. The latter represents about 20% of the local utility’s energy portfolio.The move is also striking because St. Louis has long been the corporate home of many of the nation’s largest coal companies, including the industry’s two giants, Peabody Energy and Arch Coal. Both of those companies did not immediately respond to a request from NBC News for comment.Lewis E. Reed, president of the St. Louis Board of Aldermen, said he hopes the city can now push ahead with initiatives like shifting its vehicle fleet to electric power instead of gas. The lawmaker said the city’s action also will create momentum for others to push for wind and solar and for the state’s biggest utility, Ameren Missouri, to move more quickly to clean power.The utility introduced a plan last month to spend more than $1 billion on renewable energy generation. It plans to add 700 megawatts of wind generation by 2020, to bring that source to 10 percent of the utility’s total. And it plans a modest increase in solar generation, adding 100 megawatts over the next decade.Ameren Missouri’s president, Michael Moehn, said in a statement before the vote that the utility “fully supports” moves by governments and other customers to push for more renewable energy.More: St. Louis, Long a Coal Capital, Votes to Get All of Its Power From Clean Sources
“For two days wala sang makasulod umpisa tomorrow,”Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. said yesterday morning. They were ordered to undergo home quarantine and scheduled for swabbing today. “He was also tasked to collect and dispose garbage from offices,” added Raymundo. The Municipal Health Office (MHO) immediately launched contact tracing. The priority targets were the patient’s fellow market vendors, drivers and conductors. “The capitol will reopen on Wednesday,” said Defensor. ILOILO – From today until tomorrow the Iloilo provincial capitol is off-limits to the public. It will be thoroughly disinfected. An employee of the General Services Office (GSO) tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). On Saturday afternoon, the public market was temporarily closed for disinfection. It was reopened on Sunday morning with people required to observe the “one entrance, one exit” policy to better police the volume of people entering. SAN JOAQUIN VENDOR The employee – a 29-year-old male resident of Barangay Pali Benedicto, Mandurriao, Iloilo City – was a utility personnel at the sixth floor of the capitol. The first COVID-19 case of San Joaquin was a 32-year-old nurse at the MHO. Meanwhile, a market vendor in San Joaquin town tested positive for COVID-19 – the municipality’ second such case. GSO head Aaron Raymundo told Panay News this utility worker’s assignment was to clean the hallway and comfort room on the sixth floor. Mayor Jerry Treñas of Iloilo City locked down a neighborhood in the village for three days beginning July 29 after 10 residents there tested positive for COVID-19. Aside from disinfecting the provincial capitol, contact tracing would be conducted, too. From what he had so far gathered, said Raymundo, the GSO employee was swabbed on July 29 – one of several residents of Barangay Pali Benedicto, Mandurriao subjected to COVID testing. The result was released on Saturday, July 31. The governor also revealed he had already been swabbed and his specimen would be tested for COVID-19. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness./PN People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. Raymundo said seven capitol employees have been identified as possible close contacts of the GSO employee. The GSO employee is the first provincial capitol worker to test positive for COVID-19. These droplets also land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. Most people (about 80 percent) recover from the disease without needing special treatment, according to the World Health Organization. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell. “Samtang nagahulat sang result, diri lang anay kita ma-quarantine,” added Defensor, referring to his office. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. This asymptomatic 70-year-old male was placed in isolation at the town’s quarantine facility, said Mayor Ninfa Garin. THE ILLNESS The patient was randomly tested on July 28, an initiative of Cong. Janette Garin of the 1st District. He is hoping for a faster release of his test result – within 24 hours.