23rd COVID-19 Related Death, 52 New Cases Reported In Cattaraugus County

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) MGN Stock Image.LITTLE VALLEY – Cattaraugus County reported its 23rd COVID-19 related death on Tuesday.The County Health Department says a 77-year-old man developed respiratory failure and was unable to overcome his illness despite aggressive medical treatment.The county also reported 52 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, the highest single-day record since the pandemic started. There are now 167 active cases, with 685 total and 494 total.Of the new cases, 38 are in the southeast part of the county, nine in the northwest, three in the northeast and two in the southwest. There are now 14 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the county.Cattaraugus County currently has a seven-day infection rate of 2.9%.last_img read more

MLB trade rumors: Nationals could consider moving Max Scherzer

first_imgThey could start building around Juan Soto and Patrick Corbin rather than Scherzer or Anthony Rendon, who the team could also move at the deadline as he is in the final year of his deal and will be a free agent this offseason.At this point it’s just speculation, but the Nationals have been so disappointing these last couple of years that many thought they would sell off some of their biggest assets. Some believed they wanted to trade Bryce Harper at the deadline last year and they reportedly almost did to the Astros.So they’ve thought about making big moves already and moving Scherzer would be an absolutely huge move. But Washington has again started off this season with disappointment and sits in fourth place in the National League East (28-35), eight games back of the Phillies.If the Nationals look as if they will again finish around or below .500 again — they went 82-80 last season — then maybe ownership looks to make some significant moves to bring different faces in. Here is what Heyman said:”We could see some huge, huge players on the market…it’s possibly, certainly that (the Nationals) would consider, if things again turn south for them to trade Max Scherzer who is one of the top free-agent signings of all time. Still has two years to go, still performing, but makes big money, they’ve got a little bit of a transition in ownership to the son Mark Lerner from Ted, so (it’s) something to look at.”Scherzer has two years after this season remaining on the seven-year, $210 million deal he signed with the Nationals in 2015. Related News MLB trade rumors: Phillies deal for Jay Bruce ‘is complete’center_img MLB trade rumors: Mariners ‘trying to trade everyone’ The biggest name on the trade market might not be Madison Bumgarner.According to MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, the Nationals could consider trading three-time Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer. This is a big if, but Heyman put forth a scenario in which it could happen on the “Big Time Baseball” podcast with Josh Lewin.last_img read more

Execution of Rodney Reed delayed indefinitely

first_imgThe execution of the Texas man convicted of brutally raping and murdering 19-year-old Stacey Stites in 1996 has been delayed indefinitely.Rodney Reed, 51, will no longer be put to death by the state on November 20.The news was confirmed by Reed’s legal team, the innocence project on Friday.Reed’s legal team argued investigators failed to disclose crucial information that could have proved their innocence.The court determined the claims need to be reviewed and remanded the case back to the trial court.Reed, who maintains his innocence has been on death row for 21 years.Reed’s semen found inside Stites, which led to his arrest and appeared to be the ‘smoking gun’ in his 1998 murder trial.Reed initially denied knowing the victim to police but later said the two were involved in a secret affair and that he had sex with her the day before she died.Reed said he did not disclose the affair initially because he was afraid of Stites’ fiancé, Jimmy Fennell, who was a police officer at the time.Reed’s former attorneys listed Stites’ fiancé as an alternative suspect during his trial in 1998.But a jury which consisted of all-white men and women did not find it credible and opted convict Reed.Fennell, who has denied any involvement in Stites murder, served ten years in prison on unrelated charges of improper sexual conduct and kidnapping.New DNA forensics and 11 witnesses have come forward with alleged evidence that not only links Fennell to the murder but prove Reed’s innocence.Despite this, Stites’ family members still believe Reed is responsible for her murder.Just days before Reed’s granted stay of execution, the victim’s sister, Crystal Hefley, sat down for an exclusive interview with CrimeOnline, where she reiterated her family’s beliefs.“With no doubt, Rodney Reed murdered my sister, Heftley said.Heftley also told CrimeOnline that her sister never mentioned Reed and that she was obsessed with her upcoming wedding to Fennell.Reed’s story has gained national attention, and he has gained support from celebrities, including Beyonce, Meek Mill, Rihanna and Kim Kardashian-West, and more.Kardashian-West met with Reed on Friday and was with him when he learned an appeals court granted him an indefinite stay of execution.It is unclear at this time what is next for Reed.last_img read more

Op Ed: “Canada is Not a Halfway House for Royals”

first_imgPrince Harry made his first public appearance since he and Meghan Markle announced their plans to step back from senior royal duties.The Queen has given her blessing for the couple to live in Canada part-time during the transition.Canada’s biggest newspaper, The Globe and Mail, out with a scathing editorial, reading in part, “Canada is not a halfway house for anyone looking to get out of Britain while remaining a royal.” The article goes on to say: “If they were ordinary private citizens, plain old Harry and Meghan from Sussex, they would be welcome. But this country’s unique monarchy, and its delicate yet essential place in our constitutional system, means that a royal resident – the Prince is sixth in the line of succession – is not something that Canada can allow. It breaks an unspoken constitutional taboo.”The Royal Family issued a statement on Monday that said there would be a period of transition as the Prince steps back. His wife Meghan Markle is already in Canada with their son, Archie. The Prince also issued two video statements today on mental health and the Invictus Games.The editorial arguing it isn’t appropriate for the country to house senior royals as a member of the Commonwealth, the family of nations where the Queen is head of state. But that might be exactly the reason why it makes sense: in 2018 she made Harry Youth Ambassador for the Commonwealth.By the way Meghan and Harry picked a great place to put down roots because a new global survey says Canada is the world’s best country in which to live behind Switzerland. Canada has moved up to number two in this year’s survey, and Japan has slipped down to number three.last_img read more

Vice President Mike Pence to campaign in Florida

first_imgVice President Mike Pence landed in Tampa, Florida on Thursday to attend events being held as part of President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign.Vice President Pence will make his way to the Hillsborough County community of Wimauma early in the day to host a ‘Keep America Great Rally.’ He is then scheduled to make an appearance at a “Latinos For Trump” event at 6 p.m. at the Nación de Fe church on W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway in Kissimmee.His visit comes just a day after impeachment articles were signed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and sent to the Senate.Trump Impeachment Trial Formally Begins Today, USMCA Passeslast_img

Steelers’ Tomlin: On-field foray was ‘inexcusable’

first_imgPittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin watches his players warm up before game against the Baltimore Ravens, Nov. 28, 2013, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Gail Burton)PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has plenty of words to describe his ill-timed foray onto the field last week against Baltimore.Intentional is not one of them.Tomlin apologized at length Tuesday for nearly interfering with Ravens kick returner Jacoby Jones in the third quarter of a 22-20 Baltimore victory on Thanksgiving night, calling it “embarrassing, inexcusable, illegal, a blunder.”One that is likely to haunt the 41-year-old for the remainder of his career and take a pretty decent bite out of his wallet and perhaps even his reputation.“There are repercussions of a blunder of that nature and I embrace it,” he said. “With my position comes the charge of preserving and protecting the game of football. … I think my biggest error on Thursday night is not realizing that play jeopardized the game from an integrity standpoint.”Tomlin was standing at the Pittsburgh 35, as is his custom, when the Steelers kicked off after a touchdown that drew them within six points of the Ravens. As the ball settled into Jones’ hands, Tomlin turned his attention to one of the videoboards at M&T Stadium to get a better perspective of the play as it unfolded. He stepped onto a strip of turf painted white that is meant to serve as a barrier between the field of play and the sideline.Jones raced through a hole and down the Steelers sideline while Pittsburgh’s Cortez Allen gave chase. Tomlin didn’t move even as Jones closed in — mostly, he said, because he was “mesmerized” by what was happening on the screen.“I saw myself come into the Jumbotron, it’s a frightening experience,” Tomlin said.Tomlin actually stepped onto the field with his right foot before jumping out of the way as Jones veered right to avoid a collision. Allen tackled Jones a split second later as a potential touchdown ended as a 73-yard return. Tomlin was not flagged on the play, and he pointed out after the game that standing in the white area was commonplace for coaches even if it was technically against the rules.He didn’t use that as an excuse while communicating with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and other league officials Monday. Tomlin said he had no plans to fight whatever disciplinary action the league decides to hand out.“I don’t know what a just punishment is,” he said. “I have no idea. I’m not acting in a way to preserve my wallet and my money. My wallet and my money is what it is because of the game of football.”The NFL fined the New York Jets $100,000 in 2010 when cameras caught strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi tripping a Miami player on the sideline. Alosi was suspended by the Jets and eventually resigned after the season.While Tomlin’s job status is certainly not in jeopardy, he is aware critics believe he was attempting to gain a competitive advantage.“The possibility that my actions could be perceived in that way never crossed my mind,” he said.Which is why he was a little surprised his sons told him the incident kept coming up during the usual Sunday NFL TV coverage. Tomlin understands his ill-timed two-step created “hours” of fodder.“I have no desire to defend my character or things of that nature,” he said. “I’ve become comfortable with the fact in these positions you get judged a certain way.”Tomlin acknowledged there was a memo sent out by the league last week asking coaches to be more mindful of where they stand on the sideline. He said he might have missed it because the Steelers were facing the Ravens on a short week.Regardless, he stressed he will do a better job “policing” himself in the future and stay out of harm’s way.NOTES: DE Brett Keisel will miss Sunday’s game against Miami (6-6) after aggravating a left foot injury against the Ravens. … LB LaMarr Woodley (left calf strain) will be limited in practice. … The remaining players injured against the Ravens, including running back Le’Veon Bell (concussion), offensive linemen Kelvin Beachum (right knee sprain) and David DeCastro (left foot sprain), could play this weekend.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.orglast_img read more

Rodman apologizes for comments on jailed American

first_imgRodman has been slammed for not using his influence with Kim to help free Kenneth Bae, the missionary in poor health who is being confined in North Korea for “anti-state” crimes. In an interview with CNN on Tuesday, Rodman implied Bae was at fault.“I want to apologize,” Rodman said Thursday. “I take full responsibility for my actions. It had been a very stressful day. Some of my teammates were leaving because of pressure from their families and business associates. My dreams of basketball diplomacy was quickly falling apart. I had been drinking. It’s not an excuse but by the time the interview happened I was upset. I was overwhelmed. It’s not an excuse, it’s just the truth.”Rodman said he wanted to apologize first to Bae’s family. “I’m very sorry. At this point I should know better than to make political statements. I’m truly sorry.”In the interview, Rodman was asked whether he would raise the issue of Bae during his visit.“Kenneth Bae did one thing,” Rodman replied. “If you understand what Kenneth Bae did — do you understand what he did in this country?”Asked to explain, Rodman declined to respond.Bae, a Korean-American Christian missionary and tour operator based in China, has been detained for more than a year. North Korea sees missionary work as a threat to its authoritarian government.Bae’s sister, Terri Chung, welcomed Rodman’s apology.“I think it’s good to see him recognize the gravity and the urgency of Ken’s plight,” she said from her home in Edmonds, Washington. “It’s nothing he can make light of or play games with.”“I just want to make sure that everyone — not just Dennis Rodman — everyone knows about Kenneth Bae’s plight and how precarious it is,” she said.The U.S. State Department distanced itself from Rodman and said it did not want to “dignify” his activities or comments in Pyongyang by commenting on them. But spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the department was open to speaking with Rodman on his return.“We have not reached out to him. We’ve said before, if he wants to reach out to us, we’re happy to hear from him and what he has to say,” she told reporters.North Koreans cheer during an exhibition basketball game between U.S. and North Korean players at an indoor stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014. (AP Photo/Kim Kwang Hyon)Rodman dedicated the game to his “best friend” Kim, who along with his wife and other senior officials and their wives watched from a special seating area. The capacity crowd of about 14,000 at the Pyongyang Indoor Stadium clapped loudly as Rodman sang a verse from the birthday song and then bowed deeply to Kim, seated above him in the stands.Rodman said he was honored to be able to play the game in the North Korean capital and called the event “historic.” Some members of the U.S. Congress, the NBA and human rights groups, however, say he has become a public relations tool for North Korea’s government.The government’s poor human rights record and its threats to use nuclear weapons against rival South Korea and the United States have kept it a pariah state. Kim shocked the world in December by having his uncle, once considered his mentor, executed after being accused of a litany of crimes including corruption, womanizing, drug abuse and attempting to seize power.Rodman has refused to address those concerns while continuing to forge a relationship with Kim.Rodman is the highest-profile American to meet Kim, who inherited power after the death of his father in late 2011. Rodman has said he is not a statesman and instead is seeking only to build cultural connections with the North through basketball that may help improve relations between Pyongyang and Washington.U.S. basketball players line up before an exhibition basketball game at an indoor stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014. From left to right are Andre “Silk” Poole, Kenny Anderson, Guy Dupree, Doug Christie, Jerry Dupree, Antoinne Scott, Cliff Robinson, Charles D. Smith and Vin Baker. (AP Photo/Kim Kwang Hyon)Along with Rodman, the former NBA players included ex-All Stars Kenny Anderson, Cliff Robinson and Vin Baker. Also on the roster were Craig Hodges, Doug Christie, Charles D. Smith and four streetballers.___Associated Press writer Doug Esser in Seattle, Washington, contributed to this report. Dennis Rodman waves to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, seated above in the stands, after singing Happy Birthday to Kim before an exhibition basketball game with U.S. and North Korean players at an indoor stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014. (AP Photo/Kim Kwang Hyon)PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — Dennis Rodman apologized Thursday for comments he made in North Korea about a detained American missionary, saying he had been drinking and was under pressure as he organized a game with former NBA players.The former basketball star issued the apology through publicist Jules Feiler in an email message to The Associated Press, a day after he sang “Happy Birthday” to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the start of the friendly game.Charles Smith Praises N. Korean Experience[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VmAmaR0Hw4&w=560&h=315]last_img read more