2 Men Abduct, Rape Woman at Gunpoint in Hempstead

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Two suspects abducted a woman and raped her at gunpoint in Hempstead last week, Nassau County police said Friday, 10 days after, in a wanted flyer seeking tips on the suspects’ whereabouts.Roberto Rodriguez-Euceda and the second suspect, whose identity is unknown, allegedly raped the victim at 4 p.m. on July 8 “while displaying what appeared to be black semi-automatic handguns,” according to the flyer.The suspect was described as 32 years old, 5-feet, 1-inch tall with a medium build, black hair, a beard and birth mark under his right nostril, police said. Investigators released a photo of the suspect in their request for information leading to his arrest.The second suspect was described as a 30-year-old Hispanic man with long, dark hair in a pony tail, a bar on his left ear and a tattoo on the right forearm of two fish as well as the letters “C” and “E” on his index and middle finger of his left hand, police said. Neither a name nor photo was available for the second suspect.The alleged assailants fled the scene in a late model two-door black pickup truck with a light color or white cover over the bed.Authorities said that the suspects should be considered armed and dangerous.A police spokesman said no further information was available about specifically where in Hempstead the woman was abducted.Crime Stoppers ask anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the suspects or any information about this crime to call 1-800-244-TIPS (8477), or call Special Victims Squad detectives at 516-573-4022.last_img read more

DeSantis Asks Capitol Officials to Replace Confederate General Statue

first_imgFlorida Governor Ron DeSantis on Wednesday asked U.S. Capitol officials to remove a statue of a Confederate general that has been part of the state’s display for nearly 100 years.DeSantis’ letter to the Capitol’s architect seeks to replace Edmund Kirby Smith’s statue with another honoring educator and civil rights pioneer Mary McLeod Bethune. It reads, “Dr. McLeod Bethune’s statue will represent the best of who we are as Floridians to visitors from around the world in our nation’s Capitol. Her legacy endures and will continue to inspire future generations.”The McLeod Bethune statue is expected to be on display in 2020.The Florida Legislature approved the statue switch last year. Soon after, the Lake County Historical Society agreed to take the Smith statue upon its removal from the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall Collection.McLeod Bethune will be the first black American to be honored in the Statuary Hall Collection, which includes two representatives from each of the 50 states.Smith was among 12 statues of former Confederate soldiers or politicians in the hall. His statue has been there since 1922.Efforts to replace it started following the shootings of nine people in 2015 at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, by a white supremacist. A reevaluation of Confederate memorials around the country has taken place since then.In 2016, lawmakers approved replacing the Smith statue and organized a panel to recommend a replacement.Bethune was one of three famous Floridians, with the others being environmental author Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Publix founder George Jenkins, that were recommended to the 2017 Legislature.Bethune emerged as the panel’s choice last year.last_img read more

Manchester City Overturn Two-year Ban from European Competition on Appeal to…

first_imgUefa issued the ban in February after ruling City had committed “serious breaches” of Financial Fair Play regulations between 2012 and 2016.City’s fine has been cut from €30m (£26.9m) to €10m.In delivering the ruling, Cas said City did “fail to cooperate with Uefa authorities” but overturned the decision by Uefa’s club financial control body (CFCB) to ban them.City said the decision was “validation of the club’s position and the body of evidence that it was able to present”.“The club wishes to thank the panel members for their diligence and the due process that they administered,” City added.Cas’ ruling means City, who are guaranteed to finish second in the Premier League this season, will play in the 2020-21 Champions League.In this year’s competition, Pep Guardiola’s side face Real Madrid in their last-16 second leg at Etihad Stadium on 7 August.They lead 2-1 from the first leg in Madrid and will face Juventus or Lyon in the quarter-finals, which will be held in Lisbon, if they progress.The Cas statement continued: “The award emphasised that most of the alleged breaches reported by the adjudicatory chamber of the CFCB were either not established or time-barred.“As the charges with respect to any dishonest concealment of equity funding were clearly more significant violations than obstructing the CFCB’s investigations, it was not appropriate to impose a ban on participating in Uefa’s club competitions for Manchester City’s failure to co-operate with the CFCB’s investigations alone.”On reducing the fine, Cas said that, while it considered “the importance of the co-operation of clubs in investigations conducted by the CFCB” and Manchester City’s “disregard of such principle and its obstruction of the investigations”, the Cas panel “considered it appropriate to reduce Uefa’s initial fine by two-thirds”.It added: “The final award with reasons will be published on the Cas website in a few days.” (BBC)Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Manchester City have successfully overturned their two-year ban from European club competitions.The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) announced the club were cleared of “disguising equity funds as sponsorship contributions”.last_img read more